Pages

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Tools, it's about the tools....


Basic Cheesepress...

To make hard cheeses one can go rustic, or high tech.  I prefer to wing it in the middle.  A cheesecloth(tied stilton style) full of curds placed on top of a wooden board, with a sterile weight serves as a good first step.  Over time though, I yearned for something easier, safer, and efficient. 

I looked up various styles of cheesepresses and settled on replicating one of 1800s origin.  It's the standard lever style, with a pin to hook the weights upon.  It cost me about $50 to make myself several years ago, I imagine with inflation, plus with personal choice of wood and finish, one could still make a cheesepress for under $75.  I finished it with a butcher's block wax.  I gave enough space for the cheesemolds to be pressed in the whey or drain freely depending on type of cheese I am aiming for at the time.

In the picture is a standard hard cheesemold, flat bottom, with a follower, and makes up to a ten pound wheel of cheese.

So in the picture below is the diagram.  I bolted each leg of the main body, and lever stand on the base board, the bolts are inset so they lay flat on the bottom.  I would say that is the hardest part.  The lever was the easiest, it is mostly bolts, lots of holes to adjust as the cheese is pressed, and also on the lever arm to adjust for amount of pressure desired.

Click for larger view of diagram.

It's important to make sure that the lever is perpendicular to the cheese or you will end up with a tilty cheese. Still edible, but not as much eye appeal.


Happy cheesepressing!

No comments:

Post a Comment