Pages

Sunday, February 12, 2012

What will I kill next?

Fresh from the garden...

It's that time of year again.  Spring is in the air, kids jumping about, the daffodils are blooming, and catalogs start rolling in.

I swore this year would be different.  This year, I will allow myself to be tempted.  Well, just a peek.  Flipping through those catalogs.  Just thinking of all those plants I could grow, or not.  Then just the idea pops in, what next, what weird plant can I grow, but most likely kill next.

Some plants are great, grow well, but then the berries or edible plant matter is something, well akin to dirt.  I would have to be half starved to eat.  Then there are the exotics that I used to love to grow in a more temperate region, and when I was childless.  But nowadays, I prefer to keep my plant babies more independent, no coddling.  So that cuts out all orchids or plants from zone 9 or higher.

Then some plants are a surprise, I heard they are impossible to grow in this zone, but just the right soil preparation or windbreak, or what not particular to that plant and it not only grows but thrives(like my cranberry bog).

So I'm off pondering what next, maybe apricot, or new herb...?

So here's what's growing now....
Under veggies, we have salads, kale, radishes(french and daikon), a few varieties of garlic, and onions, turnips, parsnips, carrots, chard, peas, and various brassica.

Perennial herbs are rosemary(arp), oregano, sage, various thyme plants, savory, mints(spear, Moroccon, Swiss, chocolate), parsley, bay, & cilantro.  It's still too cold for to break dormancy on my chives, tarrogon, bergamot, and other herbs.

Now if only I can keep our kitten from playing in our freshly planted beds, things will be good.   Don't let her girlish good looks fool you, in the garden she's a dirt rolling, digging, carrot-top eating heathen!

No comments:

Post a Comment